Hi there! My name is Kristina Suko. I’m a writer, mother, and wife living on the coast of Washington state.
I have always been a bookworm. Before I could even read, I was wandering around with a book in front of my face, pretending to be Belle and making up my own fairytales as I turned the pages. Then, I learned to read and fell in love with words. Definitions, spelling, names, meanings, structure, and especially storytelling. I used to alternate between reading the dictionary, scribbling my stories, and scouring my grandma’s bookshelves for the best novel I could find.
My love for fashion took a bit longer to bloom than my love for books; in my late teens and early twenties, I was insecure and unsure of myself, wearing mainly baggy jeans and loose tees, and I reserved skirts and dresses for Sundays only. But then I lost some weight and gained some confidence, and even though the weight fluctuates through pregnancies and married life, the confidence has stayed. While I never imagined that I would one day write a blog about books and fashion, I did always love wearing a pretty dress, and reading a good novel!
Here, you will find book reviews with outfits to match the book covers or characters, honest anecdotes on motherhood, vintage that is practical for everyday wearing, and some general sassiness. And, if you’re lucky, a whole lot of nerdiness.
Mr. Rochester is my true love*. And Thesaurus.com really is my favorite website.
*I guess my husband is actually my true love. Rochester comes in at a close second.
Don’t know where to start?
Here are my top ten most-viewed and shared posts:
- Labor and Postpartum tips for First-Time Moms-To-Be
- The Power of Modesty
- The Whole30: What to Read, How to Cook, and What to Keep in your Kitchen
- How To: Authentic 1920’s Flapper Makeup
- How to Survive Your Newborn
- A Sort of DIY Marvel A-Line Skirt
- DIY Chalkboard
- How To Dye Dark Hair Red Without Pre-Bleaching
How old are you?
- I was born in 1988. Do the math. 🙂
Who takes your outfit pictures?
- Sometimes myself and the tripod, sometimes Mr. Owl. He’s this fantastic photographer I know… who also happens to be my main squeeze.
And no, “Mr. Owl” is not his real name.
What is Mr. Owl’s real name?
How do you pronounce “Asa” and “Evie/Evangeline”?
- Asa = A-suh
- Evangline/Evie = ee-van-gell-een/ee-vee
What kind of camera do you use?
- A Canon 60D, and my favorite lens is the 50mm.
How did you find clothes to wear during pregnancy?
- Short answer: I’m stubborn and poor, so I have to be creative.
- Long answer: the sales racks are my BEST friends, and I shop a lot at my local thrift stores! I don’t get stuck wearing maternity only, because lots of regular clothing works so long as you size up, it’s stretchy, or it has an empire waist. Get creative!
How do I subscribe?
- Four options: Twitter, Email, Facebook, or Bloglovin‘. You can find all of these over to the right.
As well, I update Chictopia and Pinterest with my daily outfits. You can find those in the sidebar as well.
Why are your older posts signed “Mara”?
- That’s sort of a long story. Since I’m not going to go through 300+ posts to change the signature, you should probably just go read this post. It explains a lot.